You are about to watch a video that we hope you’ll find compelling. It’s about why East Pond residents treasure the lake and why we should all be concerned about the annual late summer algae blooms and their impact on water quality and our quality of life. The video explains clearly the science of what causes the blooms and proposes a solution based on decades of research by experts. The price tag to implement the solution is $1 million.
We have been awarded a grant of $238,000 from the Maine Department of Environmental Protection. We need to raise a minimum of $550,000 from commercial properties and residential property owners. We believe that we can then approach foundations to reach our final goal. Initial support has been very strong, but we need high-level support from you to reach our goal and make this solution a reality.
Enjoy the video and listen to its message. We very much look forward to your sharing our commitment to East Pond and reaping the rewards of a cleaner lake year-round.
Jerry Tipper, Fund Raising Chair East Pond Association
Click here to view the East Pond Restoration Project Video
Following are documents related to the Watershed Plan and the Alum Treatment project.
- Phosphorus Loading and Related Lake Management Considerations
- Longevity & Effectiveness of Aluminum Addition to Reduce Sediment Phosphorus Release & Restore Lake Water Quality
- East Pond Watershed Restoration Project 319
- East Pond Watershed Plan Update - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Lake Restoration Brochure